Monday, May 18, 2009

New bag for spring! The Skink Clutch

I'm forever losing my pens and pencils in the deep, dark recesses of my backpack, so I made this bag to keep them all in one place.  You can easily change the dimensions and use buttons, a zipper, or even a hair tie (pictured after the jump) to keep it closed.  It's an incredibly simple bag, but still looks stylish.

SkinkClutch2

Pattern after the jump...

-Cristy

Currently Listening To: "Livin' On A Prayer" - Bon Jovi (courtesy of Pandora Radio)



SkinkClutch1

The Skink Clutch

This 7.25" wide x 4" deep (18x10cm) bag is constructed in two pieces, which are then sewn together. I used a 4.0mm hook and minimal amounts of the following.  Because they aren't the same width, my bag looks.. lumpy. ^.^  But you stick to one kind of yarn like I was unable to do, you won't have those lumps!

Main Color: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease (Charcoal)

Alt1 color: Red Heart Super Saver (Gold)

Alt2 color: vintage Carrousel Wintuk (Col. Blue)

But you can substitute for any size hook/yarn combination.  By increasing the number of stitches and rows, you can make a larger bag.  Because of the high number of color changes, it would be easiest to crochet over your yarn ends, rather than weave them in afterwards.

Pattern stitch: *sc in chained gap, ch1* repeat to end.  If the row ends on a ch, sc in the last stitch instead.

Side A

In Main Color:

Chain 38.

Row 1: Sc in second chain from hook, sc in each chain to end.

Row 2: *Sc, ch1*, sc.

Row 3: Change to Alt2. Work pattern stitch.

Row 4-5: Change to Main.  Work pattern stitch.

Row 6-7: Change to Alt1.  Work pattern stitch.

Row 8-9: Change to Main.  Work pattern stitch.

Row 10-16: Repeat Rows 3-9.

Row 17: Change to Alt 2.  Work pattern stitch.

Row 18: Change to Main.  Work pattern stitch.

Row 19: Sc across row, including in chained gap. Pull tail through last stitch.

Side B

Make the same as Side A.

If you would like a flap, continue to the next step.  If you plan on adding a zipper, you're done!

Flap

Row 1: In Main.  Begin crocheting in the third chain of side a or b.  Sc across, 34 stitches.

Row 2-5: Work pattern stitch.

Seam the last row of both sides together to create a neat bottom.  Finish the rest of the seams and you're done!  (I told you I doodled...)

SkinkClutch3

6 comments:

  1. Like the clutch a lot! I'm definitely putting it on my list. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this :) I just started mine today. I'll have it up on ravelry soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this pattern on Ravelry and I am in the process of making things for an orphanage in Haiti where the children are between 4 and 22 years of age. This is too perfect for the older ones, even boys, because it can be used for any number of things. I love it! I'll post photos on my Ravelry project page soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you for telling me. And yes, please keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete