Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mediterranean cuisine, anyone?

Since I love mediterranean food and don't have a meal plan through the school this year, it was only a matter of time until I decided to tackle a greek-inspired meal myself.  Photos and a recipe after the jump!

First, my snack.  Sure, it's very simple, but I did get the bread and jam at a great price.  The bread was day old, half price from the local gourmet market, A Southern Season, and the preserves were bought from the Carrborro Farmers' Market.  They're both local Chapel Hill attractions, so if you're in the area...

BreadAndJam

And now... dinner!

First, an appetizer!  Diagonally sliced cucumbers (also from the market) and fire roasted red pepper hummus.  I think I'd get a lighter hummus next time, but Harry preferred the spicy.

Mediterr1

This dish was fantastically simple too.  If you've ever cooked rice in a pot on the stove, you too can make instant couscous!  I bought Marakesh brand from Harris Teeter, and would definitely recommend it.  All of the pasta and seasonings came together, so I didn't have to buy my own spices.

Mediterr2

And here's the fun part!  I looked up a few recipes for greek chicken and kept what I liked.  It's very lemony and tender, even without any marinating.

Mediterr3

Recipe: Greek Lemon Chicken

- chicken breasts (I believe this was 2lbs)

- 1/2 cup lemon juice

- 1.5 tsp salt

- 1/4 tsp pepper

- 1 clove garlic or 1 tbsp garlic powder (I used powder since Harry already had some)

- 2 tbsp olive oil

- oregano (there's no such thing as too much oregano)

Directions

- preheat oven to 375 degrees Faren.

- lay breasts on covered baking pan

- mix seasonings and lemon juice together and pour over chicken

- roll chicken in sauce and rub, sprinkle with more oregano

-  bake chicken for 45 minutes and you're done!

I know that was horribly long, but I hope you enjoyed it!

Much love,

- Cristy

Currently Watching: Dinner: Impossible

No comments:

Post a Comment