Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eating on a Budget: Part 1

Tomorrow is the first day of my Summer School Session and, desiring to pack lightly, I didn't bring much in the way of crafts (we're talking a single tote bag here, people).  I promise that the crafting will pick up when summer school ends (July 24th) but until then, we're going to talk about food!

The dining halls don't open during summer, so my parents sent me here with $300 in food money (it was the recommended amount).  This works out to about $8.33 per day.  I was also scatterbrained enough to forget both my refridgerator and microwave at home, severly restricting the types of foods I can buy.  I also realized that, the less I spend on food, the more I'll have to put to other uses (ie. yarn, my World of Warcraft subscription, household expenses, etc.) and well, there's no such thing as too much extra money.  So, you're invited along as I learn to cook... please make sure I don't blow anything up.

My restrictions:

  • must be cheap eats

  • must be light (I'm carrying everything back to my room across campus)

  • may not require refrigeration

  • lunch must be portable, since I don't plan on returning to my room

  • must be healthy and satisfy the food groups


Here are my materials:

DSCF0725

Minus the round bowls... and I don't even know if this stuff is microwave-able!  I'm heading to the grocery store tomorrow.

-Cristy

Currently Listening to: "Always" - Saliva (Pandora.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment