Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Knitting until my hands fall off...

Almost since I learned to knit, I've been making baby blankets for whoever I know that becomes pregnant. The first few were... rather awful and painstakingly slow, but now that I've done a few, I think I've got the hang of it. Important things to remember:

- cotton or Really Nice acrylic. Wool and other animal fibers can lead to or aggravate allergies and besides, for us poor people (like college students!) they can get really expensive
- avoid patterns with gaping holes. You can risk getting baby fingers and toes caught and, while unlikely, I'd hate to injure some innocent kid...

I really prefer baby blankets to other blankets I've made (uggg) because they're so much faster and I drop them off as anonymously as possible (generally outside of the teacher's office). But anyways, I think this one's my favorite so far, by miles. Although the project's already tracked on Ravelry, here's the quick and dirty.

- Chevron Blanket (knit version) pattern off Ravelry
- Vanna's Choice Baby yarn in Goldfish and Duckie
- size 8 straight needles (the really long ones... 14 inches?)

chevron-for-fan-laoshi-1

See? And there's my Micheal's bill that I used for keeping track of rows until I realized I could just count the number of decreases in a column. BUT it also came in handy for massing the changes in the weight of my ball of yarn, so I could figure out when I'd run out. (I HATE running out of yarn, and I haven't found an LYS that carries cheap yarn yet. I did, however, add an extra column of chevron, since I was using dramatically smaller needles than the pattern called for. So that makes 114 cast on stitches, for future reference. Hopefully I'll have more picture of the actual blanket soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment