Monday, May 24, 2010

So organized....

Yeah, even I get in moods where it's very have a place for everything and everything in its place.  Ugg.  Sure, I appreciate a clean room, but I'm just not naturally organized!  (Where was I got with this?  It's 3am and I'm tired.  Oh right...)  Anywho, I spent part of a 6 hour car ride to the beach organizing some random fibers I got Thursday.

(Apologies for the extreme blandness, it's about the types of fiber, damnit, not the color!)  The first two pictures are of the same page, and the third picture is the second page of fiber samples.



I should probably start by warning you that, since all of these fibers came from someone else, everything i know about them is word-of-mouth...  So let's see...  That first column is cotton from New World Trading.  I rather liked the color speckles and it's wonderful to touch, but the short staple length approximate length of individual fibers) makes it ridiculously difficult to spin.  A decent skein of this would take lots of patience.  The second column is from my hometown, so it's locally grown/produced/cleaned cotton.  Despite the ginning, it still has a lot of crap in it, but honestly, you can't even feel it once it's been knit.  The third column is my absolute favorite, although I'm not entirely sure if it's Irish linen or cotton.  Either way, it likes potatoes and Guinness and yes that was stereotyping.  Other than that, it's possibly my new favorite fiber and undoubtedly extremely expensive!  (I tried to add (US 6) knit samples where I could, but for some, there just wasn't enough fiber.)



Okay, that linen in the first column?  Freaking pain in the arse.  I never had more respect for the ancient Egyptians than when I was trying to spin in and, given the ancient Egypt phase I went through in my youth, that's saying a lot...  At first, it stuck to everything except itself, especially my hands, and then, once I wet it like you're supposed to, it refused to draft.  I rather suspect the (freakishly long) staple length through me off as well.  I'd definitely try it again, but not anytime soon...

And that last one is just fun.  All I know about it is that it's a Mutant (Google suggests California Variegated Mutant Sheep.)  It's surprisingly pleasant to spin, especially considering I'd never spun from a batt before.  The sponge-iness is weird, but definitely makes for an extremely elastic yarn.



Yep, that's it for today... time to haul my poor exhausted butt to bed. ^.^

- Cristy

Currently Listening to: "The Sweet Escape" - Gwen Stenfani

No comments:

Post a Comment