Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Just because I'm an atheist, doesn't mean I'm a bad person!

I've also been looking more into paper cutting.  Most paper crafts aren't really my thing (Glue and I haven't gotten along since pre-K and a fateful macaroni noodle portrait), but something about paper cutting gets me interested.  I think it's the permanence of every cut.  With yarn, mistakes can be fixed with a few careful pulls, but paper cutting mistakes have to be worked into the image or you get to restart.

Anyways, this was my test/practice piece.  I'm thinking about extending this to Etsy (interested?) with a few fixes like bolder letters and maybe some border decoration.  I'm also very undecided about the crescent and whether it looks better completely open or merely outlined.  I rather like the dictionary page, but I could be crazy.  As to Etsy, I probably wouldn't be able to offer framing, unfortunately...  grr.

DSCF2950

A closeup of the virgin:

DSCF2953

A quick word on the political rammifications of this piece:  Yes, I was raised atheist/agnostic but I've been known to pray when the situation calls for it, although I call it "extremely ferverent wishing" since you aren't supposed to pray only when you want something.  I also love religious art and writings and my life goal is to view at least one service of every religion and its various denominations.  Probably because I'm a bit of a feminist, I cherish the Virgin and chose to highlight her, but I have another version, which is only a template so far, that includes a border with various religious icons (cross, wheel of dharma, star of david, fsm, om, swastica, star and crescent, and yin yang).  Basically, I'm not trying to be inflamatory or anything.

Love,

-Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment