Saturday, July 18, 2009

Random Photo Friday 7

Photo Friday is back!  I had no school today and, what with exams next week, I thought I ought to make the most of it.

First, another trip to the book store!  I love it dearly, and if you're ever in Chapel Hill, NC, I recommend a visit.  I have a passion for truly old books, so meet Mrs. Margaret Sangster's Good Manners for All Occasions, published in 1904.  Her paragraphs on proper correspondence and the value of your typewriter are my favorites, so far...  Also, the design on the front is probably going to be inspiration for an art project in the future.

Books1

There's also a note on the first page which I can't completely decipher...  The first line, "Anna +..." is beyond me, but the rest reads "Trinity College.  Durham, NC.  Jan. 1905.  'Fairyland.'"  Trinity College became Duke University in 1924, thanks to a grant from a tobacco magnate.  Anyways, if you can read that first line, give me a hand?

Books2

Really, this book was full of surprises.  As I was reading it, this page feel out.  It's an advertisement for a Christian newsletter.  Most interesting:  you could subscribe for $1.50 per year and there's an inky fingerprint in the top right corner!  The paper's been in the book so long that it stained the facing pages.

Books3

My second purchase was I Will Be a Lady: A Book for Girls, by Mrs. Tuthill.  This is the 28th edition (popular book, huh?), published in 1854.  I haven't started reading it yet, but I love the amount of attention the bookmaker paid his (or her) work.  And if anyone knows anything about printing in the 1850s...

Books4

Also, the cover is gorgeous.  Seriously, how do you do this?

Books5

Alright, I usually try to limit the number of pictures to four, but yeah...  One last one, I promise!  I finally managed to get into Lime & Basil, a Vietnamese Restuarant near school.  I tried an appetizer and, though I was expecting something completely different, it was really good!  Now I'm hungry all over again...   If you're in the area, check it out!  I'm taking my mother there when she visits next week, so I can try the rest of the menu!

DSCF2800

That's it for the photos, but if you don't feel like leaving me yet, you can always leave a comment on my last post!  I'm still looking for advice...  Remember, I can either lengthen the necklace or send it as is and experiment with Kool-Aid on the rest of the yarn.  Anyways, thank you very much!  I really do appreciate all of you.

-Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment